Saturday, October 14, 2006

Just For Kicks

Coached my oldest son's Boys and Girls Club team in their first tournament game today.

I've written about them a little bit... and really saw the fruits of my labor in a few moments today. Some of them have really started to embrace the concept of passing and it's amazing how just one or two passes in bumble bee soccer really opens things up.

It is a lot of fun. I make sure the kids get a lot of positive reinforcement, lots of high fives and answer all their questions. I tie shoes in the middle of the field and make sure they're having fun.

My son scored the first two goals. He's been playing really well all year, and even better as of late. He finished up indoor at Mossville with six goals in two games.

So here's where the struggle starts for me. Anyone who knows me knows that I have great passion for the game. And as much as I stress fun... I work hard to make sure I don't even hint at becoming like this guy's father.

But here's the thing. After I got up from a rare nap this afternoon, my son says to me: "daddy, if I clean up the front room, can we practice soccer in there?" He wanted to do more after dinner too... and right before bed.

So what do I do. The season is over next week. I don't want to push him this young. I really don't. But am I failing him if I don't nurture his passion... find him more places to play? I don't know.

No comments: