Friday, August 11, 2006

Time For Bye Bye BMW?

I drive a BMW 525i. No, I'm not rich. It's a 93 with 150,000 miles that I bought used from Woody's in Creve Coeur. When we bought Shannon the minivan, I inherited her Focus. But as we bought it the first year of that model, we also had all the headaches that went with... and it was honking me off to spend money to keep fixing a car I didn't enjoy.

So I traded in the Focus for the BMW. And of course it has had it's share of problems, but I love how it looks and it runs great when healthy. Michael, Doug and the folks at Kauth and Mayeur do a great job.

In recent months, it has taken a bad turn... need a new muffler... after getting it replaced just three years ago. The windshield is cracked... the glovebox fell off and now... the driver's side door won't open from the inside. Still, I love this car and I'm having a hard time letting go. It's kind of like breaking up with someone (that's a joke people).

But here's the deal. It's paid for. If I buy a new car, that's going to mean a down payment and a monthly payment that I don't want to do with the new and improved house payment that comes with building a bigger house. Shannon wants me to get a new car. Mostly because she loves me, but also I'm sure because two years ago at Christmas, I suprised her with a Honda pilot in the driveway... and I'm sure it pains her to see her husband having to roll down the window to open his door, then roll it up before turning off the engine.

So I'm on Autotrader tonight... we'll see what comes of this.

No comments: