Monday, January 16, 2006

A Little Background

Before this month, I had been to the Philippines twice. Once when I was in first grade and once when I was a sophomore in high school.

Of course, even when I was a teenager, I didn't fully appreciate the how long of a journey it was for my parents to both get to Milwaukee where they met, nor did I appreciate how in so many ways the opportunities I had growing up here.

As a child, it was a place that didn't have all the conveniences I was used to... it was hot and sticky and there were lots of bugs and lizards... away from my friends over vacation... just to start.

These are of course feelings I'm not proud of, but I accept now as part of growing up.

Not to say that I was going to learn everything about the history or about my family on this trip, but my eyes and ears were wide open.

No comments: