Thursday, January 19, 2006

Dora's Pirate Adventure

We took the kids to see the traveling Dora show at the Civic Center last night. The place was packed and the kids had a great time.

Just a few thoughts...

The plot was that the three pirate pigs stole Dora's treasure chest and Dora, Boots, Diego, Benny, Isa and Tico went on your typical "Dora adventure" (three stops) to get it back. So they get to the last stop and of course, as Dora goes, they get back the chest basically by yelling at the pigs to give it back. Which, after getting the kids to help them yell this, the pigs do. Now I'm not one to encourage fighting, but Dora had to know that there were six of them and three pigs... and they should have been able to take em. Shannon laughed, but basically shook her head as I pointed this out.

For those of you familiar with Dora, each episode is basically the same, they have to find something and use the map to get through three places. My daughter, though just two years old, gets this and when she's watching the DVDs asks me if she can watch another one when they finish up at the third spot... she's anticipating the end. Last night, when she realized what was happening, she started crying. I asked her, "what's wrong?" She said, "daddy, I want to watch it again." We explained it doesn't work that way, which made her more upset. Being two is rough.

Update: I was actually pretty on board wth the whole show until Dora did her own version of Gloria Estefan's "Get On Your Feet."

1 comment:

Jonathan Ahl said...

I think I can relate. Tommy turns two tomorrow. For some reason, he has become attached to the Joe Jackson song "Stepping Out". (I'm really not sure why, but he likes it and asks for it regularly.)

Anyway, he hasn't grapsed the concept that the song is on a CD, and not permanently imbedded in every device that can produce music. I can't tell you how many times he have had a tantrum or borderline tantrum because he points at a CD player or radio in some random location and says, "Daddy, Steppin' Out!". Being two does seem to be hard.