Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Day 3 - On The Court

My dad set up a game between our family and the locals. It seems he had been talking me up the past couple of weeks, so despite my knee and not having played since the 2002 Macker... I was lacing it up in an effort not to disappoint. A couple of my cousins were setting their sights high, but my goal was just not to get hurt.

As I mentioned in the last post, they take their basketball really seriously here. When I heard we were going to play, I figured pickup game like at the playground. Oh no. They brought out a ref and a timer and a scorekeeper.

Only one of my cousins ever actually played in high school, so we were overmatched from the start. These guys were skilled and they liked to run, so my goal was to slow things down. They didn't want to guard me up top, so I started launching threes and much to my delight, most of them were going in. That opened up the drives for layups and dishes... but in the end, we ran out of gas and lost by two.

No comments: