Thursday, August 04, 2005

Who Said It?

Shannon and I were recently talking about certain things we say that we picked up from other people...

Being a big fan of The Tipping Point and how all things are connected, I thought I share a little of what I'm talking about.

When I was at WMBD, many of us (lovingly of course) would tell each other to "shut your mouth" which, if I remember right my friend Aaron got from one of his high school or college buddies. The context would be to say it in place of something like "no way."

My friends Pinky, Brain and EWD have picked up from me "you're killing me" which I'm fairly certain I picked up from Steve Scheuer.

I've also gotten people to say things are "genius" (even if they're not) which I got from a shooter (John Kenney) in Milwaukee, who I'm guessing got it from the Wile E. Coyote toons where he actually spoke, but that is just pure speculation.

Steve, once told me he took the "Ask Chuck" falsetto voice to Chicago and at one point had a bunch of people talking like that and not knowing why. If you've done it, you know how addictive it can be.

I can't remember what it was, but I had a similar conversation with a few former 19ers (from different generations) about something or a phrase that is quite common at WHOI... it was funny to see the "youngster" hear the story from someone who knew the source.

Funny how things kind of hang...

1 comment:

Gehly said...

I still find myself talking like Dubbs now and then. when leaving a story(usually in a backwoods part of East Tennessee) I say "let's get out of this God-forsaken place". the photogs I work with just look at me funny and laugh.
I've also been known to use "sonsofb*tches didn't leave us a parking spot"...and the occasional belch followed quickly by a "pardon me, cuse me".