Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Wal Mart Thoughts

Made a trip solo tonight... I don't know what it is, but when I go to the store by myself, there always seems to be at least one thing on the list that takes me 20 minutes to find. Last time it was a block of parmesan cheese... this time it was strawberry syrup. Turned the wrong corner...

Nothing against our Wal Mart... everyone there does a good job, it's clean etc. But for some reason I've had trouble warming up to the whole Super Wal Mart concept. You can buy food there, but you can also by clothes or electronics or whatever. I have this weird thing about these items all being in the same cart. It just doesn't seem natural. I'm slowing getting over this pseudo phobia.

Bought "Muppets Take Manhattan" for the kids, "Double Jeopardy" for me. Can't resist the Ashley Judd in peril flicks. "High Crimes" and "Kiss The Girls" also rate...

I'm slowly coming around to the "check yourself out line." I don't know why it has taken me so long. Maybe because my first experience with this technology at a grocery store wasn't so good. Because of the movie, I had to have someone come over and punch in a code.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's the thing I don't like about Wal-Mart......they put the little places out of business. Check out the Frontline on Wal-Mart if you can. Has some interesting stories concerning them. My wife and I happily will pay 10 more dollars and shop at Haddads then buy groceries, or anything else for that matter, from them.

Washington now has a very nice vacant "little" Wal Mart, that I'm sure will sit there for God knows how long, down the road from the new "Super" Wal Mart. Uuuggghhhh.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Did you pull that right out of the hippie handbook?

If I remember right, everyone said Super Wal-Mart on Allen Road would shut down Haddad's. Didn't happen AND there's no other market or grocery store that that particular Super Wal-Mart has shut down....so, there goes that theory.

I shop at Super Wal-Mart cause of the prices. That extra $10 (I would be spending a lot more...trust me, I've compared) you spend at Haddad's can go towards my gas bill.

You talk about the "empty" Wal-Mart in Washington...Pekin got rid of their "empty" Wal-Mart if a matter of months...why isn't Washington doing the same? No one wants to set up a business there? Why is that and how is it Wal-Mart's fault. Here's a building that's already built, so that cost is out the window for a new business, and no one wants it. Hmmmmm......

Anonymous said...

How long has Super Wal Mart been open on Allen Road? Maybe a year and a half? Wait a little longer to see the results.

And no, I don't remember Haddad's being brought up as a business that would close due to the Super Wal Mart. Because Super Wal Mart is about 15 to 20 minutes away from Haddads in West Peoria. Wait to see how Kroger and Schnucks, which are a little closer than Haddads, do in the next 5 years. I pray to God they all stay open, because that means people are choosing not to shop at the big box.

And let's see, who would be interested in moving in to a former retail store? Perhaps, another retail business? Now if you were an owner of a retail business, would you move in 5 minutes away from a retail giant like Wal-Mart? And if Washington is such a thriving community that they would want to open a Super Wal-Mart there, then why hasn't that building been occupied? Hmmmmmmm.......

Check out the Frontline, like I said.

And no I'm not a "hippie", I'm someone who looks at things other than price.

Anonymous said...

Good idea. Believe everything you see on TV.....because the media isn't liberal or anything.

TDB said...

Here is some information about Wal-Mart and labor that isn't from television, and isn't from an anonymous poster. With tax breaks, subsidized infrastructure and the welfare benefits its employees often draw, the company tends to be more of a liability to a local economy than an asset.

This is an article about how Wal-Mart treats its suppliers, including almost putting a pickle company out of business. Also not from television.

Finally, an article about Wal-Mart's labor abuses in China. Turns out those nice, inexpensive clothes you buy for your kids might very well have been made by Chinese children who aren't too much older.

Nobody quibbles with your desire to save $10. It's just that you, and many others around the world, end up paying more for it in the long run.