Sunday, June 26, 2005

Batman Begins

After a great day with my kids, I was able to catch "Batman Begins." First a little disclosure. I grew up loving comic book heros. I spent hours at what used to be Oriental Drugs on the East Side of Milwaukee reading em. And while I grew out of it, there is still a part of me that loves to get lost in those kinds of stories.

Really enjoyed this movie. The franchise/series had taken a pretty rough turn and became, I thought, overly cartoonish, which to some may seem like an odd thing to say, but I don't think stories based on comics have to be cartoonish if that makes sense.

I can see where "purists" might not take to the "revisionist history" of the film, but it lends a great deal of plausibility to the notion of a caped crusader. And it gives the film some relevance to modern times. If within suspended belief you can accept that a "super hero" exists, questions still arise. How did a man with no "powers" get trained? How did a Batcave get built and with no one knowing about it? This film gives those kinds of answers.

And of course in true modern fashion, they left the door open for a sequel.

1 comment:

Bill Dennis said...

I've been reading Batman all my life. They've tinkered in small respects with Batman's origin in some small ways.

But it took a movie to tell us that Batman was trained my nihilistic vigilante Himalayan ninjas.

But I did really like the movie though. I appreciate the casting surprise near the end.