Saturday, April 16, 2005

Waxing Nostalgic

Drove around my old neighborhood on the way to WMBD yesterday. When I first moved to Peoria, I lived in the apartments over by Circuit City, but eventually moved in with Brent Lonteen and Jerry Warfield.

This was the Purtscher house... a small three bedroom not too far from WMBD. Over the years, various trios of newsies shared this place. Before my time, I'm told it was quite the party house. And what a deal too: $500 a month rent... split between three people. Even with CILCO, cable and phone, it was a steal. I think I was paying 450 myself at the apartment.

After Brent got married, Ryan Goble moved in. Eventually Jerry got married and Ryan and I moved away... and the Purtscher legacy (if that's what you want to call it) was done.

My favorite memory there was in May of 98. I had come back to Peoria one last time (or so I thought) for Shannon. She had finished a year at WMBD and was going to move out to Monterey.

We're on our way to meet her dad's family for lunch (she lived in an apartment down the street from Purtscher) when I told her to stop by the house. She was annoyed cause we were already late. We got out of the car and told her I wanted to take her to the place where we had our first kiss... to ask her to spend the rest of her life with me.

1 comment:

Ken O'Brien said...

Edgar, cool site, just ran across it. I was one of the residents of the "Purtscher House" when I worked at WHOI as the #3 sports guy. Sounds like you got there right after me, I left in May of 97
You're right, what a great deal, wasn't exactly a Shangri-La and the hot water always ran out, but I can't fathom spending $150 on rent anywhere. That place saved me, as I was making about 9 grand a year at HOI, don't know where else I would've lived. Cool post.