Monday, April 25, 2005

Anchoring For Dummies - Poor Emphasis

I've been watching a fair ammount of news the past month, here, in Milwaukee, WGN as well as network and cable. This includes weeknights, weekends and mornings.

As I'm not a critic, I won't comment on anyone specifically and some of this is already under the TV news for dummies posts, but recently I've really noticed/heard things that are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Just some thoughts... and if you anchor here or somewhere else and are reading this... take it for what it's worth... one viewers opinion.

Conjunctions don't need to be emphasized. Whenever I hear someone just screaming an "and" or a "but" I just shake my head. Often this will be the same anchor who glosses over words like "killed" or "dead." Read your scripts out loud as you are copy editing. They sound different in your head. Out loud will help you catch stuff and let you hear it before the show.

Also, each story has a different tone and pace, but all are important. This is the difference between reporting on set and anchoring. When you're only doing one story, you don't need to think about transitions and changes. As an anchor, you do. And your energy, even if the tone is down... your energy needs to stay consistent. Don't blow through stories cause they aren't A1 or A2. Your job is not just about reading and going home or to the bar. Embrace each story, no matter how big or small.

Think! Think about what you're reading, not just about getting through.

No comments: