Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Winning Isn't Everything... Really

Big game tonight. Most of the college basketball experts will tell you if Illinois is going to lose this season, this, now that they've beat Wisconsin is going to be the night. Michigan State is a top ten team and very tough to beat at home. I know there are fans out there who' like to see an undefeated season. But a loss might not be the worst thing in the world.

Take for example the following thoughts from former Kentucky star Tony Delk (from a Sporting News interview)
I was playing the point the first two games, when we lost to UMass. Then
(Pitino) put me back at the shooting guard position and we won 27 in a row.
Then we lost in the SEC championship game to Mississippi State, which I
think was a good loss for us. Winning so many games, thinking you're
invincible, I think we would have taken a loss from somebody.

With the exception of the Iowa game, the Illini have probably felt invincible. Sometimes you need a reality check. I'll still root for them to win tonight, but I won't be heartbroken if they don't.

Update: Okay... whatever. I'll never complain about a good win.

No comments: