Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Sidewalk Theory

From the blogger who brought you Future of Television comes a new blog: Sidewalk Theory.

So far only three posts, so let me get in on the ground floor. Something in his first post struck a chord with me.
The fact that broadcast television dominates ad revenue and total media usage
now, doesn't mean it will stay that way. 10 years ago, travel agents
booked nearly 100% of tickets. 10 years ago, book stores accounted for
100% of book sales. 10 years ago, newspapers controlled nearly 100% of
classified advertising.

When I lived in Peoria the first time, I took a lot of trips and I used a travel agent. I haven't used one since 98. Not that they didn't do a good job for me, but like many I eventually found it easier to do it myself online.

My wife does most of our book shopping on Amazon. Not that we don't love to go to Barnes and Noble on occasion, but now with three kids, it is much more of a hassle. I still love the atmosphere at book stores, but I hate ruining it for others when my oldest starts to throw a tantrum cause he doesn't want to leave the Thomas the Train setup.

If someone like Kevin had told me in 97 these things would come to pass, I'm not sure I'd have believed it. I'm looking forward to his future posts.

No comments: