Friday, January 28, 2005

You Ain't On My (expletive deleted) Side

Every station has a slogan. Jeff's Peoria Television Stations blog points out that WHOI's has changed.

WMBD's is "Making a Difference For You" which I found amusing because WISN, where I started out pushed "Together, We're Making A Difference" although today they are "Live, Local, Latebreaking." WEEK's is Your Home Team, which is appropriate. My station in California was and continues to deliver "Coverage You Can Count On." If you travel much and watch the news, you'll start to notice that basically all news slogans are reused or reworked versions of the same five or six slogans that have been around since... they've been doing slogans.

But my favorite thought about all this comes from a viewer. This story was told to me by a friend who shoots in Vegas now and I don't remember a lot of the details. But if I recall correctly, he was at some sort of volatile situation and the slogan for one of the stations covering it was "On Your Side."

At some point, an angry woman blurted out "On Your Side? You ain't on my mother (expletive deleted) side!" Well, at least they were well branded.

No comments: