Monday, January 24, 2005

TV News Project - Peoria

Despite leaving for greener pastures, I am still the biggest cheerleader for TV news in this market. I really enjoy seeing people get experience and growing as storytellers. If they stay great. As a viewer it means there's another reporter to have confidence in. If they leave, which most do, that's great too. This is a terrific place to learn the ropes and there are lots of good people to learn from.

Something I always wanted was for someone to compare the coverage of the three stations during sweeps... when each was putting forth its best effort. Now that I've got this blog, I've decided to do it myself.

So here's the deal. I'll pick some random days during sweeps and do a comparison of the three stations. I'll break down all three 10PM newscasts based on topics covered, story count, local coverage and other criteria, in a scaled down version of Journalism.org's TV news project from a couple of years back. I know when I was working at 25 and 31, people always wanted feedback. I look at this as my chance to contribute.

Just for reference... the point of this is not to make anybody feel bad. The point is for viewers and people who work in the market to see what all three stations are doing well and what they struggle with. The goal is to take away ways to improve, see what you can learn from the competition and celebrate when a job is well done. If you work in this market and can only see this as criticism, please look up the term "self awareness."

The plan is to have a "fair and balanced" (please don't sue me FOX) look at how stations are handling the show of record in this market. If you have any suggestions for what you'd like to see in such a comparison, please comment.

P.S. I don't have time or energy to do every night of sweeps, so please don't suggest that.

No comments: