Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Standups For Dummies - Now

I've titled "Anchoring for Dummies" posts on the crutch word "well" and what is known as "uptalk." The point of these posts isn't to be mean or even critical. I won't call anybody out specifically... you know, "he who is without sin etc." My hope is anyone who reads these posts and recognizes these issues in themselves will work towards changing... although in my experience self awareness and broadcasters don't always go hand in hand.

The word "now" is another crutch word. On my first resume tape montage, I used the word "now" to start every standup. Annoying. Another habit I was eventually able to break. It's a crutch. You might as well add it to your countdown: "In 3... 2... 1... now..."

Yes, I know it probably helps people get through clunky areas of writing or brings a sense of immediacy to the standup, but really it should be reserved for describing "then versus now" or live shots to explain "it's happening right now." If the writing doesn't work for you, rewrite it. And say what you will in your standups without saying "now."

No comments: