Monday, January 24, 2005

Happy Birthday To Two Special People

This is a little off topic, but not totally. Hey, it's my blog, right?

Took my father-in-law to dinner tonight to celebrate his 59th birthday. Looking back, it's funny because when I first met him, I was cub reporter and he was Mayor of Pekin. I was doing a story on TIF districts and needed sound from the city. He was busy with a bunch of things that afternoon, but suggested I come to his house and he could do an interview before his family sat down to dinner. I liked him right away. Very personable, very gracious and a great soundbite to boot. Funny, I didn't even know he had a daughter about my age.

Dave is a pretty amazing guy. Sharp as a tack. Can fix anything. And the way he fought through cancer was an inspiration to many. I was disappointed of course when he lost the last election, but it has turned out to be a blessing for me, as my family and I have been able to spend more time with him.

My father-in-law just happens to share a birthday with one of my best friends, Nikki. While in college, she and I pushed each other and helped bring out the other's best. When I left Milwaukee, it turned out to be a blessing for her as she got the reporting job. She was a better reporter anyway.

When I moved to Peoria, she was anchoring weekends in Champaign. As I didn't know anyone when I moved here, it helped keep me sane to have her close by. She ended up working in Chicago, San Francisco and Phoenix. We traded e-mails today... its kind of funny that ten years out of school, two of the most driven people in our class are both married, both have kids and both out of television.

No comments: