Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Famous For 15 Minutes

My 15 minutes are clearly up, but the residual fame does have a purpose. It gives my co-workers the chance tease me about being a "celebrity." It's all in good fun. But even though we're nearly four years removed both my wife and I are recognized fairly often when we're out.

We don't mind, as generally people are very nice and tell us they miss seeing us. After watching one such exchange, Aaron asked me, "When do you think that's gonna stop?" I think it'll be just "one of those things" indefinitely for a few reasons.

First, I'm Asian, which in the Bay Area or big cities is fairly common. But there just isn't a large Asian population around here. In fact, there are only a handful of Asian males who work in television on camera... in the country.

Second, I last worked at WEEK which is traditionally the dominant station in the market and actually in talking to people since leaving, I think it's probably even more watched than the ratings say. The viewers are loyal and I am sometimes suprised what stories of mine they remember.

I think the last part of the notoriety comes from an incident with Matt Hale. He/his group took our wedding announcement and made it into a flier calling for our deaths because we are an interracial couple. There was such an outpouring of support from people... calls, letters, e-mail and just people coming up to us to let us know how badly they felt. I saw a lot of good come from something very hateful.

I know there are some people who work in television who don't want to be recognized or don't like being "bothered" to which I think: what the heck do you expect? You work in television. You should have thought about this before you signed up.

No comments: